By The Associated Press.
Apple has sold more than 84 million iPads since its debut 2010. The latest model debuted just two weeks before the start of Apple’s April-June quarter, which became a record-setter in iPad sales.
Several challengers have come along, including Amazon.com Inc. with its Kindle Fire. New versions were unveiled on Thursday.
Here’s the breakdown of iPad sales by quarter. Amazon does not disclose Kindle sales figures:
- 3.3 million in fiscal third quarter 2010 (through June 26); iPad went on sale April 3, 2010.
- 4.2 million in fiscal fourth quarter 2010 (through Sept. 25)
- 7.3 million in fiscal first quarter 2011 (through Dec. 25)
- 4.7 million in fiscal second quarter 2011 (through March 26); iPad 2 went on sale March 11, 2011.
- 9.3 million in fiscal third quarter 2011 (through June 25)
- 11.1 million in fiscal fourth quarter 2011 (through Sept. 24)
- 15.4 million in fiscal first quarter 2012 (through Dec. 31, 2011)
- 11.8 million in fiscal second quarter 2012 (through March 31, 2012); third-generation iPad went on sale March 16.
- 17 million in fiscal third quarter 2012 (through June 30, 2012).
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.